My first pair of socks called for two heretofore unexplored techniques.
First, the Tubular Cast On.
The pattern included a handy link to a web site showing how to do it. Yay! Except the link didn’t work. Fail #1.
I Googled and found instructions for a Long Tail Tubular Cast On. Looked simple enough. Yay! Except something didn’t look right when I actually tried it. Fail #2.
I returned to my Google search and found instructions for a Tubular Cast On involving the use of contrasting scrap yarn cast on using a Backward Loop method. I had done Backward Loop before without knowing exactly what it was called. So when I Googled “Backward Loop,” I realized what it was. I had Backward Loop under control. And I had contrasting yarn since my socks call for two colors. Yay! So I finally accomplished the Tubular Cast On. However, it looked like it wasn’t going to be wide enough to fit around my ankle (since I have average size feet but somewhat thick ankles). Fail #3.
So I frogged all of four rows and re-did the Tubular Cast On using one needle size larger. Success at last!
Second, the Magic Loop.
Back to Google, I found a web site with just a few pictures that it made it pretty easy once I tried it. So no sweat there at least. The need to pull the cord back and forth hasn’t been as much of a bother as I expected, and I think it will go quickly enough once I am past the first 12 rows of the pattern which involve the dreaded 1×1 ribbing. SO slow. Better get back to it so I can move on sooner rather than later. Ugh.